Code of Ethics
Code of Ethics
Professional special educators are guided by the CEC professional ethical principles, practice standards, and
professional policies in ways that respect the diverse characteristics and needs of individuals with exceptionalities and their families. They are committed to upholding and advancing the following principles:
- Maintaining challenging expectations for individuals with exceptionalities to develop the highest possible learning outcomes and quality of life potential in ways that respect their dignity,
culture, language, and background.
- Maintaining a high level of professional competence and integrity and exercising professional judgment to benefit individuals with exceptionalities and their families.
- Promoting meaningful and inclusive participation of individuals with exceptionalities in their schools and communities.
- Practicing collegially with others who are providing services to individuals with exceptionalities.
- Developing relationships with families based on mutual respect and actively involving families and individuals with exceptionalities in educational decision making.
- Using evidence, instructional data, research, and professional knowledge to inform practice.
- Protecting and supporting the physical and psychological safety of individuals with exceptionalities.
- Neither engaging in nor tolerating any practice that harms individuals with exceptionalities.
- Practicing within the professional ethics, standards, and policies of CEC; upholding laws,
regulations, and policies that influence professional practice; and advocating improvements
in the laws, regulations, and policies.
- Advocating for professional conditions and resources that will improve learning outcomes
of individuals with exceptionalities.
- Engaging in the improvement of the profession through active participation in professional
- Participating in the growth and dissemination of professional knowledge and skills.